The Africa Australia Awards Scholarships 2024-2025 opens February 1st, 2024, and closes 30th April 2024 11:59pm AEST.
These are long-term awards administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
They aim to contribute to the development needs of Australia’s partner countries in line with bilateral and regional agreements.
They provide opportunities for people from developing countries, particularly those countries located in the Indo-Pacific region, to undertake full time undergraduate or postgraduate study at participating Australian universities and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions.
The study and research opportunities provided by Australia Awards Scholarships develop the skills and knowledge of individuals to drive change and contribute to development in their own countries.
Applicants who want to accept Africa Australia Awards Scholarships will need to sign a contract declaring they will comply with the conditions of the scholarship.
Benefits of the Africa Australia Awards Scholarship
Africa Australia Awards Scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training.
The following benefits generally apply:
1) Full tuition fees
2) Return air travel–payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route.
3) Establishment allowance–a once only payment as a contribution towards accommodation expenses, textbooks, study materials
4) Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) – a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by the department.
5) Introductory Academic Program (IAP)–a compulsory program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on living and studying in Australia
6) Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only)–provided to cover the scholar’s basic medical costs (with the exception of pre-existing conditions)
7) Pre-course English (PCE) fees–if deemed necessary PCE may be available for students for in-country and/or in-Australia training.
8) Supplementary academic support may be available to ensure a scholar’s academic success or enhance their academic experience.
9) Fieldwork may be available for eligible research students for one return economy class airfare via the most direct route to their country of citizenship or within Australia.
Eligible African Countries
Australia’s international development assistance in Africa helps promote prosperity, reduce poverty, and enhance political stability.
The following countries are eligible:
- Côte d’Ivoire
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
How to Apply for the Africa Australia Awards Scholarships
Before you submit your application for the Africa Australia Scholarship Awards, ensure you read this handbook.
The handbook provides information including general eligibility requirements, selection processes, entitlements and responsibilities.
Then, you proceed to apply online here.
When you sign up online, you will need to answer some questions to establish if you are eligible.
Afterwards, they will give you a registration number, username, and password to start your application.
But you do not need to submit your application immediately.
You can set up a draft application form and update it and submit before the deadline.
You can also apply to any of the top 10 best postgraduate Australia scholarships for international students.
Scholars are required to leave Australia for a minimum of two years after completing their scholarship. Failure to do so will result in the scholar incurring a debt for the total accrued cost of their scholarship.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is australia awards scholarship?
Australia Awards Scholarships for Africa are long-term awards administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. They aim to contribute to the development needs of Australia's partner countries in line with bilateral and regional agreements.
What are the australia awards scholarship requirements?
Apply before the deadline and select your country from the list of participating countries. Then, ensure you read the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook.
What are the australia awards scholarship benefits?
The benefits include but not limited to full tuition fee, travel payment, establishment allowance, health cover and academic support.